Days before leaving for England, I was very nervous about what to pack and how I was going to reach my new dorm. I searched various sites and tried to watch as many videos as I could to help me be more prepared for my travel to Europe. So, I made a list. I would need the following most important items:
- Extra battery
- Important Documents
What I found:
There is a lot of information online about how the use of data or wifi comfortably while abroad, and depending on the length of your stay, the plan you choose will differ as well. Something that many people try to avoid is the roaming charges that come from using your data outside of the U.S. Things to keep in mind are:
- Who is your cellphone provider and what plans are offered by them?
- This is important because, in the case of companies like T-Mobile, you may have more flexibility to use your cellphone plan abroad. I have read from other blogs that their coverage works pretty well in many countries.
- In the case of Verizon, to use data alone could cost up to $10 a day which could be convenient depending on the length of your stay and budget.
- Since I am in a family plan, I am able to suspend my line for a certain period of time so they will not charge my phone. This works for me because I usually change my sim card while abroad.
- What type of phone do you have?
- This is also a very important factor to keep in mind when traveling.
- From my experience, depending on the type of phone you have, it could be easier or difficult for you to get a SIM card.
- Some companies lock their phones and others keep them unlocked. For example, from past experiences, research, and stories from close friends, I learned that if your phone is under a contract then it is possible that your phone is locked and it will not accept any type of SIM card other than the one that came with it.
- I have read online that Androids are usually more flexible when compared to iPhones in this aspect.
I will share more information on my next blog. If you read this far without getting bored, thank you.
If you have any questions or are curious and want more details about my posts don’t hesitate to comment and reach out to me. ^_^